Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bead Board Picture Frames

I have done several projects involving bead board. But this is what started it all. I made myself some picture frames using scraps from when we redid one of my daughters rooms last year. You could say these frames are what started my obsession with using bead board in decorating. 


I decided to make some of these frames for each of my sisters and sister-in-laws for their birthdays this year. These frames are super cute and even better they are super cheap too. Which is a HUGE plus for a cheapskate like me.


Here's how I make them:
I started out with a package of beadboard. I spent $12 on this.



 It has 6 sheets in it. You can cut 3 frames out off each sheet. So you could make 18 frames. I only needed 11 so I'll be using the rest on other projects. I also bought two 3/8" dowels. You could use a different size as long as it's sturdy enough to hold up the frame.

To start you'll want to cut about 1/4 or so inches off the length of each board. Just enough so you have flat edges. Then cut the boards into 9" pieces.   Cut your dowels into 4 1/2" pieces. In order to have a rounded corner, I traced around a cup and then using a jigsaw cut out the rounded corners. Then drill a hole in one corner of the frame using the same size drill bit as the dowel.

I don't have any pictures of the process but here is what you should have at this point.



Sand down any rough edges and you're ready to paint.


 Here are the colors of paint I used from my stash:
Apple Barrel - Barn Red Deco Art - Antique White

and for the turqoise I mixed two colors in approx. equal parts until I liked the color.

Americana - Baby Blue

Americana - Desert Turqoise

 Next comes the antiquing, or glazing.



I like to use Americana Staining Antiquing Medium. You can buy it at a craft store for around $2. I'm only on my second bottle and I've even glazed a desk. That's way cheaper to me than buying a big can of glaze at Home Depot and having tons left over. You just mix it with equal parts paint and you're good to go.  I've even used it with purple paint on all the purple furniture and shelves in  My Daughter's Bedroom

For these frames I mixed the antiquing medium with Americana Burnt Umber for the cream and turquoise frames. I mixed it with black for the red frames.

After glazing, I sprayed with a clear spray to seal.

In order to cover the hole where the dowel is inserted, I added some fun rosettes out of burlap. (I just hot glued them on) This was a great choice, with the frayed edges and the slightly messy look. Especially when you're making dozens of them, you don't want to have to worry about them all looking perfect.

 I added a little ribbon to a clothespin and hot glued it on.

Lastly, insert your dowel. You can hot glue it in, but I'm not going to since it will be easier to mail these if they are flat.  And honestly, you don't really need to. I've had mine for at least a year and they've been fine.

I love how you can easily change out the pictures or the direction of the frame.


I didn't make any of this type of flower this time around, but I thought they were too cute not to share. I just took a 1" strip of burlap, folded it in half lengthwise and rolled them up. 


Another idea I used originally, was to add metal sheeting, painted to match, and attach the picture with a magnet made from an old button.


Here's another one made from a smaller scrap. I'm using it as a recipe holder.


I had to keep one of the turquoise ones to go in my bathroom. Now I just need to find a picture.


The only things I bought were the beadboard, dowels and some black ribbon.  For everything else I used what I had on hand, all left overs from other projects. 

Here they are all ready to give when a birthday comes.


 I feel so prepared now. The bad thing is that I've already missed two birthdays.


31 comments :

  1. These are so cute! I have a leftover piece of beadboard out in my garage, you've totally inspired me.
    Amy@homehappyhome

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love these, the colors you used were great.
    www.newlifeovernight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are seriously too cute! It makes me wish I had some beadboard in my garage, too. Oh, wait...I'd need a garage first! ;-) Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are super cute! What a wonderful and creative idea. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amazing! I cannot wait to make some!
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT IDEA! Can't wait to do this, I have plenty of leftover beaded board. Next years homemade Christmas gifts.

    Thanks,
    Our Thrifty Nest of 7

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness these are tooooo cute. I really really really want some of my own! Shoot I wish I had a jigsaw! Butttt normal corners might not be thattt bad right?! Thanks for the great inspiration!!!!! ps I linked up here for the first time today too!!! :o)
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project, I love how you used the beadboard! The flowers are the perfect touch and I also really like the idea to add metal so you can use magnets. The old button is really a neat touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love this. I love the colours that you chose (even if they were stash colours, you must have picked them at some point right, lol) and I love the rusticness of the clothespin. Awesome. I would be thrilled if you shared this at our Link It Up Thursday party going on until Monday. http://thesepeastastefunny.blogspot.com/2012/02/link-it-up-thursday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are ADORABLE!!!So very crafty,Im making these and thank you for the great inspirationas well:) Deidre~ http://simplysimplisticated4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are so cute! I have lots of beadboard in my garage and I haven't done anything with it yet. This is a great idea:) Thanks for sharing!! Would love you to stop by and link up at Friday Frolic, my new party!

    http://www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com/2012/02/friday-frolic-15.htm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute idea.... Thanks for linking up @CountryMommaCooks…..have a wonderful week:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are wonderful! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are so cute, I love bead board too! I pinned this so I can come make some as soon as I find my bead board scraps!! LOL!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw you at Crafts Keep Me Sane.

    I looove beadboard and bemoan that I don't have any walls or kitchen bars covered in it. I have got to get some beadboard frames to satisfy my beadboard love! Now if only I can get hubby to cut them down for me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How creative!! I love those and they would make a great gift too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I awarded you the Liebster Award. Check it out!

    http://4you-withlove.blogspot.com/2012/02/liebster-award.html

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. these are so cute! i have lots of leftover bead board from my son's room and now i know what i'll be doing with it! we'd love for you to link this up at our Sunday Best Party. http://griffithsrated.blogspot.com/2012/02/sunday-best-22612.html
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this idea!! I love picture frames and you can't ever have too many...lol

    http://www.seesewandseedlings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the frames! I would love it if you linked up at my party going on now! (It's my very first one!!)

    Jill
    www.jillifyit.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these such a cute idea! Thanks for linking up at So Creative. I featured these yesterday!
    http://soverycreative.blogspot.com/2012/02/bead-board-picture-frames.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love them. Where do you get the metal sheeting??

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looove this idea!!! Just an fyi my blog has moved from Flournfriends to Mrs Green Jeans!!! Please come check me out, same blog diff name!

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks so much for linking up. just wanted to let you know it'll be feature tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are so cute! Stopping by from She Scraps! Nice feature!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are such a great idea! Thank you for entering into One Crafty Contest! I would love to have you link up at my weekly party that starts Mondays @ 5 - Friday! Hope to see you there!

    Ashley
    www.cherishedbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooh, Cuuuuute! I like how they can go either way, like you said! Thanks so much for entering One Crafty Contest; good luck!

    ReplyDelete