Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ruffle Bow


I made my girls some ruffle bows to match their Christmas dresses.


Here's how I made them:

Start with two strips of fabric approx. 19" x 2 1/2"  and 1" x 9"
You can see that they are not exact and that's ok.


Next, fold your bigger piece in half with wrong sides together and stitch it together like so. You could also use a basting stitch with your sewing machine. Mine was put away when I made these so it was easier to do it by hand than drag out the sewing machine.


Gather up the fabric in a spiral. The top layer is gathered more tightly than the back layer. I just played around with it until I liked how it looked.


Fold under the the edge and hot glue in place. Then hot glue it all in place. I just did a dab every inch or two as I went around, starting from the center. 


 Then make a rosette for the center.  Take your smaller strip and tie a knot in one end.


Then twist and turn the fabric around the knot, hot gluing as you go to hold it in place.  I was careful to keep raw edges hidden for these bows.


Keep going until it's the size you like.


Turn the rosette over and hot glue the fabric to the back.


 Trim.


Hot glue it onto the bow.


Turn your bow over - it looks a bit unfinished.


 Take a scrap of fabric and glue it on. I should have done a circle it would have looked better.


Now you have a better surface to glue on your clip.  I prefer these kind of clips. I find that alligator clips fall out. These will stay in well as long as some of the hair is pulled into an elastic - which is always the case for us.


Now make few more.


I did one to match the skirt my oldest daughter made too.




11 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing. Book marking for later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very pretty, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. So pretty! I want one for my hair!! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing!

    www.blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Thanks showing us how!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty!! Great tut too. Thanks so much for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fabulous! I would love for you to link up with my party at http://anoriginalbelle.blogspot.com/2012/01/make-it-yourself-monday-10-link-up.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rachel! Just a quick note to let you know that I am featuring your pretty bows at my Friday link party. It is up right now if you want to pop by and grab a featured button :) Hope that you link up again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cute. They look like some of the ones I have made. I will be adding these directions to my own. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty, especially with the little rosette in the middle. Thanks for the tutorial, as I now know how to make that little rosette. A glue gun is on my shopping list. Thanks for linking up...

    ReplyDelete