Friday, November 4, 2011

Pear Sauce

I got some pears from a friend of the family.  I am not one to turn down anything that's free. At the same time, no one in my family really likes pears.  So I talked with my neighbor, who does a lot of canning and decided that I would make pear sauce and then use that to make fruit roll ups with my dehydrator.  I also learned that pear sauce can be used in place of oils in baking just like applesauce. 

Here's how I made my pear sauce. (I do the same thing for applesauce.)

First wash them and cut them into fourths and place in a pot.


Next add some water, cover and bring to a boil.


When they are soft, place them in the hopper of a food mill.  


Turn the crank and out comes the pear sauce.


Ladle into jars and process 19 minutes (adjust for altitude - I did 24 min.) in a water bath canner.


Enjoy your pear sauce in the months to come.





1 comment :

  1. This sounds delicious. I'm not much for pears but I bet I'll love this (Just like I hate apples but I can eat apple sauce all day. Weird, I know) I'm having a giveaway over at DIY Home Sweet Home. Would love you to stop by and check it out.
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/2011/11/giveaway-shabby-apple-dress.html

    ReplyDelete