Friday, October 26, 2012

Three Things to Can with Apples




This is my final canning post for this year. Be sure to check out my canning tips before getting started. 

This year my mother-in-laws tree was overflowing with apples. I grabbed 10 grocery sacks full of apples. We have eaten lots, made apple pies and apple crisp. But mostly I canned them and made dried apples.

Applesauce

Two of my kids love applesauce. I love to use it as a substitute for oil in recipes.

 Applesauce is fairly easy, just a little time consuming. I did a full tutorial last year on how to make pear sauce and applesauce is made the same way. If you're interested in making applesauce check out that tutorial.

Apple Pie Filling 

This was something new I tried this year. We've tasted it and it turned out amazing.  I think I'll add a bit more cinnamon and nutmeg next time though. Remember when I made Cherry Pie Filling? Well, I got the recipe from the same source. 

Sliced Apples

Sliced apples are quite simple as well. First core and peel and slice the apples. {I have one of those tools where you turn the handle and it does all three} To prevent browning, place in a large bowl that has been filled with water and 1 T. each of salt and vinegar. Then place apples in jars. Fill with water and process in water bath canner for 25 minutes adjusting for altitude. I use these in apple crisp.

I also tried apple juice - lets just say that after a full day of steam juicing, I only got 6 quarts. We tried one jar last week and had to add some sugar and it still wasn't all that great. I like to do a lot of things myself, but I won't be trying to make apple juice ever again;)



  

6 comments :

  1. I've got 30# of apples right now that I need to turn into pie filling. Can't wait for that yummy smell to fill the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! There is such a sense of accomplishment after a day of canning. That said, I'm glad my apples are done;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw you on your Adventures of a DIY mom link party
    I just made caramel sauce, have fun canning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just did applesauce in my crockpot, then canned it. Not too bad. I think I might try your apple pie filling. I still have quite a few apples left and need to do something with them. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel, this is my first visit to your blog, and after reading your About Me, I'm convinced we were separated at birth. ;) I've canned applesauce before, but never apple pie filling. I'll definitely have to give that one a try. I'm SO glad you shared and even happier to have found you. I'm your newest follower. Have a great day!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these are great tips! Thanks for sharing.
    Can't wait to see what you link up at Artsy Corner this week :)

    ReplyDelete