Friday, August 24, 2012

Button Necklaces

Today I'm going to show you how to make two types of button necklaces.


This type of necklace is super easy. 

Start by cutting piece of string {I used crochet thread} double the length you want your necklace to be. Then fold the string in half and tie a knot in the end making a loop like shown in the picture on the left. You want the loop to be big enough to fit over a button, because this is how you will clasp the necklace. 

 I found that if I put a little tacky glue on the ends of the string and let it dry it will help the string not to unravel as you try to string the buttons.

Start stringing your buttons on both pieces of the thread. Go down one hole and up the other {see the middle picture}

Then pull your button all the  way down to the knot or to the previous button.

Keep on stringing buttons until it's done. It gives a nice layered look.



The next way is a little more complex but just as cute. 




1. Start with a long length of sting {about 1 1/2 yards}, fold in half and tie a knot in the end to make a loop.
2. This pictures just shows you how long my string is.
3. Next put one string up one button hole.
4. And down the other side.
5. Now, with the other string, go down the hole you first went up.
6. And go up the hole that you first went down.

7. Pull the button all the way to the knot.
8. Tie a knot after the button.
 Repeat until your necklace is the length you like and cut off excess string.

Use the loop to  wrap around the end button to make a necklace.

I also made a bracelet. I'm loving these colors. The blue goes perfectly with one of my t-shirts. {Which I just happened to use as my background}


17 comments :

  1. I'm passing this along to my girls. They are going to LOVE making and wearing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter would LOVE this! It would be so much fun for dress up. The buttons are just too cute. :) I would love if you shared this at my Throwback Thursday party. I hope to see you there and thanks for sharing! http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-7/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw my daughters will adore these - and love to help make them! Thanks for the great tutorial and idea! I'm stopping by from One Artsy Mama, I hope you can swing by and visit me at www.eatloveinspire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this idea!
    xoxo
    Heather
    www.heatherlyloves.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute project! My daughter loves buttons - I'll have to make her one. Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooooo.... I really like the very first one with the layers. My oldest would love it if I could find shades of green, her favorite color. Pinning this for later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the top necklace! This will be a great rainy day craft for my girls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter would love one of these! Great color choices on all 3 necklaces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love button crafts and these necklaces are adorable! Thanks so much for sharing with us this week!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these. Simple yet perfect for wearing on the weekend when you want a little something but don't want any sparkle. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday. Hope to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I shared on my FB page. Thanks so much for partying with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so cute! I need to start collecting buttons :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh so cute!!! Time to start collecting buttons

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found this featured on mineforthemaking.blogspot.com. LOVE it and can't wait to catch up on your other posts! Consider yourself followed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great idea! I've featured it in my DIY button ideas list at http://wishfultinker.blogspot.se/2013/02/10-diy-projects-with-buttons.html

    ReplyDelete