Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Jelly Roll Skirts

I'm loving the patterns and colors in this jelly roll. 

Do you remember when my daughter made herself a jelly roll skirt back in April? If not check it out {here}. When I bought that jelly roll for her, I also bought one for my two little girls. One jelly roll made two skirts {sizes 3 & 5} 

These are cutest and cheapest skirts I have made. The Jelly Roll was $12 at Joanns. I used a 40% off coupon so that made it just over seven dollars for TWO skirts. You will also need some elastic for the waist and ribbon. {I used elastic that I had on hand, but I bought ribbon only to realize that I already had some in very similar colors} Even if you have to buy elastic and ribbon, it is still dirt cheap.  And SO much cuter than skirts you can buy. 



Want to make one? I used a tutorial from Moda Bake Shop. It is very detailed and teaches you how to make any size. 

These skirts were really quick to put together. I cut everything out in under an hour. Then spent an afternoon sewing them up. 

Here they are wearing them. I love the pink leggings, purple socks, and tennis shoes;) Do any of you have two year-olds? After 3 other kids, I've decided the clothes battle is so NOT worth it. She gets to wear what she wants and I just smile at her "outfits". 




21 comments :

  1. Gorgeous skirts, Rachel!!! Love the fabrics...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of a jelly roll in this context, but these skirts are sweet as jelly! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I'm going to have to try this for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just too cute!!! Great work and thanks for sharing the link to learn how!

    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  5. These skirts are SO cute. I wish we had a Joanns or some fabric already ready for this. I will have to keep an eye out. Come see me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just too stinkin' cute-- love them!

    Aloha,
    Stopping by from One Creative Weekend to follow your creativity here. If you're up for a ride I'd love it if you'd join me at localsugarhawaii.com where we're riding the wave of life, one little adventure at a time. Oooh, ooh, ooh and this and every Friday we host the ALOHA Friday HOP where the sweetest of bloggers link up and help each other to grow, grow, grow... come join us if you please.

    Happy Day,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are sooo sweet!!
    Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original Round Up party is open!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute, cute, cute! I love the fabric choice. My 5 yo has been choosing her outfits since she was about 2 as well. Now, she goes to the fabric store with me and chooses the fabric that will become something for her!! Too fun! Found you on tatertots and jello. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an adorable skirt! What a great idea! We'd love to invite you to join us at Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! I know everyone will love this! Have a great weekend!
    Mackenzie :)
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-20/

    ReplyDelete
  10. FABulous idea...how clever and thrifty! love it...happy weekend~
    shawn @ poetryinacupoftea.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  11. A.dor.a.ble, nothing else to say. Love your color and fabric combinations. Really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, that's just too much! The colors and the fabrics are adorable and I love that it is so doable. I'm pinning that future reference. Thanks!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute!! I love the jelly rolls too. What a fun way to use them!! I'd love to have you link this up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. It's a new linky party starting today. Hope to see you there. Thanks, Nichi
    http://mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/07/tasty-thursdays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've looked at those jelly rolls before and loved the ideao of them but always thought they had to be made into quilts or something like that. I love them as skirts. Thanks for sharing this on A Crafty Soiree, I've featured it in the newest one up tonight at midnight. C'mon by and check it out when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The skirts are darling! and as far as picking your battles, you've hit the nail on the head. My youngest has worn many interesting outfits including different shoes on each foot. Why rock the boat? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just learned about jelly rolls last week. What fun!! Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. I love this project and it will be FEATURED this week. Congrats!! Nichi – The Mandatory Mooch

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please could someone tell me what a jelly roll is, I live in Zimbabwe Africa and completely clueless. Many thank :o)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A jelly roll is strips of coordinating fabric that are pre-cut to 2 1/2 X 42". They come all rolled up together in a roll. If you don't have access to this, you can totally cut your own jelly roll strips. Just find coordinating fabric that you like and cut it into 2 1/2" strips. Hope that helps :)

      Delete