Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Carrot Cake

Early in our marriage, my husband had to practically force me to try carrot cake.  I did not want to.  To me it just sounded gross.  I finally did try it and I really like it.  It's basically a spice cake. You can't even tell there are carrots in it.

Be sure to check out  more of my favorite cake recipes.




Carrot Cake


Mix together sugar, oil and eggs.
(I always use applesauce in place of some of the oil. The recipe calls for one cup of oil, so I'll put in 1/2 cup of applesauce and 1/2 cup of oil. In theory you could substitute the applesauce for the oil, but I haven't tried that yet.)   I did add the sugar although it's not in the picture:)



Then sift in the dry ingredients and vanilla.  




Stir it all up and add the carrots (I use my food processor to grate them) and nuts. My daughter insisted that I not put nuts in it. So that's what I did, although I prefer it with nuts.



Stir well and place in greased pan.



Bake.





Frost.



Cream cheese frosting freezes very well. I use it for lots of things - from cakes to cookies to cinnamon rolls.  I only use about half of the frosting for this cake - I think it's plenty.  So stick the other half in a freezer bag and it'll be ready when you need it.




You can also substitute shredded zucchini to make zucchini cake.  I like to shred up lots of zucchini this time of year and stick it in the freezer.  If you use frozen zucchini, you should thaw it first and then drain about half of the liquid before using. 


Carrot Cake

Carrot Cake

Servings: 15
Author: Rachel
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 40 MinTotal time: 50 Min
A yummy carrot cake topped with a delicious cream cheese frosting.

Ingredients

Carrot Cake
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 c. vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 c. flour
  • 2 t. cinnamon
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 3 c. carrots, shredded
  • 1 c. walnuts, chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 c. butter, softened
  • 2 T. milk
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 4 c. powdered sugar

Instructions

Carrot Cake
  1. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, oil and eggs.
  2. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and vanilla and stir well.
  3. Stir in carrots and nuts.
  4. Pour into a greased 9 X 13 pan.
  5. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
  6. Cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
  1. Add cream cheese and butter to a bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat well until combined.
  2. Add milk, vanilla and powdered sugar and mix well.
  3. Spread over cooled carrot cake.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

495.47

Fat (grams)

23.93

Sat. Fat (grams)

4.19

Carbs (grams)

68.06

Fiber (grams)

2.03

Net carbs

66.03

Sugar (grams)

52.15

Protein (grams)

4.50

Sodium (milligrams)

226.22

Cholesterol (grams)

47.35
carrot cake
Dessert, Cake
American

No comments :

Post a Comment